You can tag (or mention) another RallyPoint member when posting a question, response, or comment, if you want that member to be notified of your post. Purposes for tagging another member:
- Provide context by referring to the appropriate RP members
- Bring them into a discussion
- Give them credit for an idea or reference that you are using
You can tag anyone who is a contact, any member admin, or anyone already involved in the discussion who is not a contact.
Note: You CANNOT tag or be tagged from a member who you have blocked or have been blocked by.
Examples of use
- You post a question or a response and want to make sure that certain RallyPoint members see the question/response, so that they are encouraged to respond and weigh in on the discussion.
- You post a comment to somebody else's comment, and want to ensure that they are notified of your comment (people who just post a comment are not otherwise notified if you comment on their comment)
How to mention/tag somebody
- When posting a question, response, or comment, type their name with the @ symbol at the start of it, and you will see a drop down menu of RP members.
- Select the RP member you want to tag.
- A reference to that member will be entered into your post, and it will look like this: [~######:SGT John Doe]. Leave this reference in your text and do not alter it. When you submit the post, it will become a link to that person, and that person will be notified.
- To tag members when you begin a discussion, please use the appropriate box when prompted instead of adding their names in the description:
What happens when you mention/tag somebody
- That person will be linked in your response
- That person will receive an email notification (pending email settings) that they were mentioned by you, and where
- That person will receive a push notification if they are using the RallyPoint iPhone App
- That person will receive +5 Influence Points, in recognition that others find them worthwhile of mentioning.
- You will receive +2 Influence Points, in recognition for the engagement you are promoting on the site, and the ideas you are contributing.
When NOT to mention somebody
- If you are responding directly to the a question, there is no need to tag the original question poster, because that person will already receive a notification of your response.
- If you are commenting directly to a response, there is no need to that the response poster, because that person will already receive a notification of your comment.
All policies regarding the RallyPoint Answers Forum can be found in RP 3-1 Proper Participation and Use of the RallyPoint Answers Forum
Feel free to write us with feedback anytime.